Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It Clicked!

I started swimming about 3 or 4 months ago. Wait, let me back up, I started flopping around in the pool about 3 or 4 months ago! I HATED it, I was getting so discouraged and about to give up. Everyone kept telling me that it would "click" and I would be able to swim forever. I wanted to punch them in the face for saying that. I couldn't do more than 50 yards without feeling like I was going to die. I'll be honest, for the past few weeks that dream of the Ironman has been slipping away from me. I figured that I would give this masters swim class a try at USM this summer, and if that didn't work I would just stick to being a marathon runner.
Well, week 1 and 2 came and went in the pool at Masters swim class. I was doing a little better, but still struggling at the end of my 50 yards. I have been trying extremely hard and even hitting the pool on my off days. My run is not getting enough attention right now, but I have to get this swimming down! Last Thursday I was a t the pool at Wesley Medical Center and did a 50 yard swim. Again I was breathing pretty hard at the end on the swim. I took a few breaths, and decided to try something that was taught to me in class. I started another 50, but this time when I hit 50 I felt like I could keep going. I ended up doing 100 yards and I was not breathing hard at all! IT CLICKED!!!!! I ended up doing a 200 yard set that day and to top it off I finished with a 400 yard set! The next day at masters class I got to do 150 yard sets the whole time. It was crazy how it just "clicked." I am so excited to swim now, and actually look forward to getting in the water. Yesterday i did a solid 500 yard swim in the pool. Today I am meeting Tiffany after work for my first open water swim out in Canebrake. I am a little nervous, but excited to try it.

Here are last weeks swim numbers:
Monday: 1200 yds feeling like crap because they were all 50's
Wednesday: 1200 yds and I felt the same as Monday
Thursday: 1250 yds IT CLICKED..... It felt great!
Friday: 1150 yds and it felt great!
TOTAL: A Whopping 4800 yds!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment