Monday, June 27, 2011

swim, bike, swim, bike, swim, swim, swim......run?


So for the past 3 weeks I have been going crazy in two pools! I have been spending Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12 to 1 in the pool at Southern Miss, and Tuesday and Thursdays in the pool at Wesley Medical center working on what I learn in masters class. I have also recently been meeting my friend Tiffany at Canebrake to swim in open water (much different than the pool.) I feel that it has paid off.
On the days that I have not been in the pool, or actually the days that I have been in the pool, I have also been on my bike getting in some seat time. I have been hitting 4th street for some hills as well as riding Eply Rd. for more hills. I have had some really good rides alone, but I have also enjoyed riding with James and Tiffany. Company definitely helps when riding. On Saturday I decided to go for a ride and ended up seeing James doing a Time Trial. We shot the shit for a few minutes and decided that we would meet for a run the next morning. This is when I realized something.....
Let me just start this by saying that James is a crazy fast runner and I knew that he would push me a little harder than I have been trying in the past few weeks. I went home had a few Gluten Free (GF) beers with a wonderful GF chicken and pasta alfredo dinner prepared by my wonderful wife, and went to bed. I woke at 6am, had some coffee, breakfast and headed to James house for the run. After a mile or two I realized that I had been neglecting a very important part of the triathlon..... the run! Probably the best part of my tri, and I was feeling like crap. If I learned anything from James this weekend, it is that you can't slack on ANY part of triathlon training! Each part of this training is important, and if I want to make it to my ironman, I need to step it up. I can't take any part of this training for granted.

He calls it Time management 101!

No comments:

Post a Comment