Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ironman Meeting


Last night I met James at his house to discuss my plans for Ironman training. After a few beers and some really good hummus we started discussing what it takes to become an Ironman and what I am going to have to do before I can even worry about Ironman training. Basically it all starts now!
James told me to start looking for the Ironman that I want to do, but we also discussed doing a bunch of sprint and larger tri's to get use to what is about to transpire over the next few months. As for now, this is what I was given to do for awhile:
Weekly:
25 miles running
100 miles on the bike
6000 to 7000 yds swimming (I asked if we could take a few zero's off of this number.)

Here are some of the other topics we discussed for me to work on right now:
This is from an e-mail sent to me this morning....
1. You have to get the swim down. Either more ti
me in the pool, a little bit of time with a swim coach, or preferably both. I would be happy to give you some tips but some 1 on 1 with an expert would be best.
2. More time in the saddle. Right now, it does not matter how hard or how fast – just more time in the saddle.
3. Keep the run the same or cut it back a little bit.
You can easily add a 3-mile run after each of your bikes. This will do wonders for the dead legs you will feel when you start to run.
4. Work on nutrition during longer work outs. This can be a deal breaker when you start to go long.

So here we go..... I am planning on finishing up this week with what I usually do and then getting to it on Monday with Ironman training.

You may ask what Ironman I decided on? Here is the plan.
In either April or May of 2012 I will be going for the half Ironman 70.3 in either New Orleans or Orlando. I am leaning towards Orlando because that is where my family is from and I would love for them to come see it.


Here is my choice for the full Ironman 140.6
There is a reason behind why I chose this one. First it is about 6 months after my half Ironman in Florida which will be the perfect time to start my training plan for the full. Also, you have to register for the full Ironman one year in advance or they fill up. The cool thing about this is that the race date this year is November 20th, one day after my 36th birthday. Yep I plan on staying up that night and registering with a cold beer in my hand as soon as the registration opens! If the race is the same weekend as 2011, the race in 2012 will be November 18th the day before my 37th birthday! You know if, sorry WHEN I cross that finish line it will be the best birthday ever!

So here we go, let the journey begin....... Let's Roll!

2 comments: