Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ironman or Bust!


Well here it is, I started running about 3 years ago now for a number of reasons. The main one being because my wife started running and I figured it would be a good thing for me to get out and spend some quality time with her. I was right, we have had some great runs over the past few years and I have come to see what an inspirational and amazing person she really is. I started with a few 5K's, then moved on to run my 1st half marathon, and have since went on to do 5 half and 2 full marathons. The one thing that I have had my eyes set on, but never actually though I would go for was an Ironman. Let me just say this, I have no idea if this will be obtainable, but I am willing to do what it takes to try to get there!

For those of you who know me, you know my background with baseball. When I lost the sport, I felt like a part of my died (I know that sounds stupid, but if you have ever loved a game you will understand.) I was told at one time that it would be hard for me to do many sports again due to my injury. I let that get me down for a long time, and used it as an excuse to do smoke and do some serious partying. Then my wife, Jenny, asked me to start running with her. I told her that I would probably not ever be able to do more that 3 or 4 miles at a time because of my back. As I started running it amazed me that my back did not bother me, so 3 or 4 miles turned into a determination that I had not had in years! My goal was to run a full marathon and prove to those doctors that said I would have problems with sport that I could do anything that my mind and body would let me. Now this brings me to my Ironman goal. After finishing my second full marathon, I really joked a lot with Jenny about wanting to do an Ironman. She said to me many of times get your ass in the water and do it. If you don't know this about me, the only thing that has held me back from even attempting this so far is that I am afraid to swim. I mean I can swim, I grew up surfing, but you cant do an Ironman with a surfboard. Needless to say I know that this will be my Achilles of the race.

That brings me to present day. I have had the pleasure of meeting James Daniel. James has finished an Ironman and is an endurance sport coach. I mentioned to James one day on our run that I was flirting with the idea of doing an Ironman, and he told me that I could do it. Besides Jenny, James is the first person that told me to really go for it. I told him about the fact that I really cant swim more that 50 to 75 meters in a pool at this point, and he said, "But you can swim. We can get you there. Give me a year and I'll get you there." I'll be honest with you, when he first said this to me I thought this guy was crazy, but the more I have thought about it I have decided that it is doable. I know, I know, why would you train for an Ironman if you have never even done a triathlon? Trust me I ask that to myself over and over again. That is why I am titling this "Ironman or Bust." I plan on doing as many different tri races as I can in the next year. Hell, I may get in the first sprint tri and decided that there is no way I can do this. But who knows, I may get in the water and decided that this is not as bad as I thought.

I am going to go for it! If I "BUST" it will be on here for everyone to know, and I will know that I gave it all that I had. If i succeed, it will be one of the most exhilarating moments of my life. I hope that everyone will join me on this journey. James and I are planning on meeting soon to discuss what my goals are and exactly what Ironman I am going to work for. I'll let everyone know as soon as we chat.....

3 comments:

  1. well, of course, YOU CAN DO IT! You just need a strong desire and commitment to do it. You've got that! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, of course you can do it! now you've put it out there on a blog, you have to do it! :) if anyone can help you get there, it will be james and yourself! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I wrote that at about 8:00 this morning and it took me forever today to press post. Ha!

    ReplyDelete