Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 11,2010 Run Log

March 11,2010

About a month ago I decided that I really wanted to try to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I also knew that this would be a very tough goal to strive for. For my age group, the qualifying time for Boston is a 3:20:59. I ran my first marathon this year in 4:03:33. Not too bad, but I also realized that I would have to shave off about 45 to 50 minutes off my time. I know that this will be just about impossible in the next year so I am going to give myself two years to try. I figure I could cut it down about 20 to 30 minutes this year and another 20 to 30 minutes next year.

OK, so I have a goal and a time frame now, but have no idea where to start when it comes to training for a race like this. I thought about it for awhile and talked a lot about it to my fellow running partners Jenny (my wife) and Terri Ward, the two people who have pushing me toward this Boston goal since I started running. Terri told me that she had talked to a fellow pinebelt pacer, Terry Lawhead, and that she thought I should talk to him about how I could train for my goal. I told her that I didn't even know him, but I guess I could shoot him an email and see if he had any suggestions.

Let me start by saying I was
intimidated to even email this guy. Don't get me wrong I have heard nothing but great things about this guy, but let me give you a little background about him. This is what I know, which is very little but I will try my best to do him justice:
First off let me say that every local 5k that I run this man's name is
constantly called in the top 3 times, usually the top time. Mr. Lawhead has qualified and for Boston a number of times. I a not sure how many to be exact, but it is more than most people could ever dream of doing.
Now you see why I am a little
intimidated to even think about asking this man about how to get into Boston.

I sent an email to him
asking for some advice and low and behold he actually emailed me back. All I asked for was some advice and this man offered to write me a training plan. I was astonished! Within a week I had a 35 week training schedule made just for me and my running style. Terry was brutally honest with me, which I needed. He said that if I trained hard enough I might be able to get around a 3:40:33 at the San Antonio Marathon in November. That would be amazing to me if I can get close to that time.

So
that brings me to today's run log. This is week 1 of my 35 week training plan. Today I had to do 5 miles at a 9:00 to 9:30 pace. I have to admit it was a little tough. I actually had not ran at that pace since running the Disney World half marathon back in January. I decided after that race that I was getting a little burnt out and just ran when I felt like it. I probably was only averaging about 10 miles a week and didn't care about my pace. It took me running the Mardi Gras half marathon with a friend of mine to fall back in lobe with the sport and finally get motivated to train again. Thank you Brittany for showing me what running is really all about. You told me at one time that Jenny and I motivated you to run, well you just did the same to me.
I realized today that I had lost a lot of what I had and that it was going to be a long road back, but I am ready for the challenge. Let's Roll!

5 miles at the L
ongleaf Trace
Ran With: myself
Time: 45:33
Pace: 9:06
The Breakdown:
Mile 1-9:03
Mile 2-9:22
Mile 3-9:16
Mile 4-8:59
Mile 5-8:51
Temperature: 80 degrees. Hot, but felt pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment