Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 2nd thru May 7th (My 1st unofficial triathlon)

Not much to write about here except that I did my first triathlon. No, it wasn't sanctioned or anything. It was a bunch of friends (well Tiffany came up with the idea) that decided a few months back that we would all have a little tri to see who could win. There was a 200yd swim, 10 mile bike and a 3 mile run all in Canebrake. The entry fee was a 6 pack of beer, winner takes all! This made me really want to win.

I jumped in the water at 8:30 am and swam the first 50 or so yards then had to turn over on my back and swim for a bit. I kept doing this until I got out on the water. There were 5 of us in the race, I was number 4 out of the water. Probably about a minute or so behind the leader. I took some time to change into dry clothing and catch my breath... I know, I have a LONG way to go to get to the ironman swim.
Next was the 10 mile bike. I felt pretty good about a mile into it and caught Eric. I could tell that he was not feeling too great so I decided to jump ahead of him as quickly as I could. Next in my sight was Ben, I could see him about a half mile ahead of me and I just grinded down until I got to him. I think we were about 5 miles into the race when I got to him. Ben and I pretty much rode the next 2 miles passing each other. We then spotted Tiffany and she was probably within 50 yards of us when we started up a half mile slow incline. I decided that it was time to make my move. I stood up and started pumping out some serious rpm's up the hill, I never looked back. I knew that I had 2 miles to get as much of a lead as I could.
I came into the transition for the run, changed into my running shoes and took off. I knew that if i kept an 8:00 pace that there was no way that any of these guys would ever catch me. My first 1.5 miles of the run went pretty much as planned. I ran about 8:00 to 8:10 pace and at the turn around I could see Ben and Eric about a half mile behind me. At this point I decided to show off a little. After we passed each other I kicked it into high gear. I wanted to really win this thing by a big number. I decided to push it to 7 min mile and get in as fast as I could. I came across the finish with my run being 21:34 that's about a 7:10 pace. I was really happy with my run.
What I learned today. 1-I am much better at the bike than I thought. 2-I am very happy with how strong I was during my run after the other two sports. 3-I need A LOT of training in the water. My swim is VERY bad.....

My weekly numbers are going to be a little low because I wanted to save myself for this "Muddy Water Triathlon," but here they are:
Swim: 500ish yards.
Bike: 50 miles
Run: 22 miles

3 comments:

  1. You will have to tell me about the next one! The prize purse sounds awesome! - That was a solid run after the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun good job guy's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger lost my comment - dang ...

    How much beer did you win and how do I get in on this?

    ReplyDelete